Product Stewardship & Extended Producer Responsibility:
Towards a Comprehensive Packaging Recycling Strategy for the US
A white paper from Natural Logic.
From the Summary:
There is now an opportunity to overcome thirty years of stagnation in waste management policy in the US to achieve a whole-system transformation of recycling and resource management systems – by applying extended producer responsibility (EPR) principles. This opportunity is driven by clear and compelling financial accountability, and has the potential to meet or exceed global best practices and achieve greater than 70% diversion from landfill, as well as provide benefits to all stakeholders.
This white paper summarizes work conducted by Natural Logic Inc. to:
- Explore the benefits and understand the barriers to implementing an EPR-based comprehensive product stewardship system in the US;
- Survey and assess best practices internationally;
- Identify key opportunities and barriers to improving resource management practices in the US;
- Convene internal and external experts on design, packaging and materials, waste; management, environmental and waste policy, European, Japanese and Canadian EPR systems, and sustainability; and
- Develop this white paper as a “provocation” for a new generation of discussion and action.
To download the white paper, please complete this form. For more information, or to discuss EPR opportunities, please contact us at EPR at natlogic dot com.