How would you connect the dots between these recent data points?
- We’ve lost 80% of Arctic ice volume in the last 30 years.
- The US General Accounting Office (GAO) has added climate to its finance “high risk” list.
- Paying the true cost of environmental impacts would cut global profits by 40-50%.
- NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg has challenged the private sector to match the city by cutting emissions 30% within 10 years.
- MIT’s Sloan School and Boston Consulting Group report that 37% of companies say they have profited from sustainability initiatives, and “nearly 50% of companies have changed their business models as a result of sustainability opportunities.”
Here’s how I connect them:
- The challenges we face are far more serious than most anyone admits;
- The opportunities for innovation, leadership and profit are much larger than most anyone suspected; and
- It’s time for companies—for everyone—to be playing a much bigger game.